Psychology for DummiesBook - 2002
What do psychologists do? Why do they do it? Does it take some sort of special aptitude to become a psychologist? How do you think psychologists feel about us asking all these questions about them? A psychologist friend of yours tells you that he is unhappy all the time and thinks it might have something to do with how he makes a living—how would you help? Now substitute the word “people” for psychologist and you have some idea of the kinds of questions the science of psychology tries to answer—questions about behavior, motive, aptitude, feeling, perception, and therapy. And while psychology may not provide definitive answers, it does offer powerful insights that can help you better understand who you are and why you feel and act the way you do.
Psychology For Dummies is a fun, user-friendly guide to the basics of human behavior and mental processes. In plain English and using lots of everyday examples, psychologist Dr. Adam Cash cuts through the jargon to explain what psychology is all about and what it tells us about why we do the things we do. With this book as your guide, you’ll:
- Gain profound insights into human nature
- Understand yourself better
- Make sense of individual and group behaviors
- Explore different approaches in psychology
- Recognize problems in yourself and others
- Make informed choices when seeking psychological counseling
From Freud to forensics, anorexia to xenophobia, Psychology For Dummies takes you on a fascinating journey of discovery. Topics covered include:
- Major schools of thought and how they differ
- The role of the body, the mind, relationships and culture in human psychology
- What is consciousness, awareness, and consciousness of self?
- Instinct, feeling and emotion and where they come from
- Developmental psychology and how people learn
- The role of gender in psychology
- Abnormal and forensic psychology
- Emotional and psychological problems and psychotherapy
Human behavior is an endlessly fascinating subject. Get Psychology For Dummies and find out what the science of human behavior has to say about why we do the things we do.
Baker & Taylor
Explores the world of human behavior by offering explanations about how people think, feel, and learn; describes social and abnormal psychology; and provides tips for maintaining psychological health.